Monday, January 09, 2006

Interlude - 1/8/06

Winter CemeteryDunkirk NY - Vacation is a little more than halfway over, and so far it's been relaxing, pleasant and thoughtful. I spent the first three days sort of vegging out, through New Year's Day. I sort of watched the various college bowl games, but not with any real attention (except for the Rose Bowl, which was a great football game). Then over the course of last week I slowly got a few things accomplished that needed to get done. I also attended a few social affairs, both here and in Buffalo, as well as getting to the opening night performance of the Irish Classical Theatre's production of Good. And tonight - well, a small addition to the blog.

I find myself, however, in something of a quandary as to what to write. During the time we're on tour, there are so many things to write about because we go to a number of places and see a number of sites, That makes writing easy, because each day brings some new subject matter and experience to write about. But being home produces nothing but introspective ramblings, and I never really intended to have this blog become about that. But perhaps it's sort of proper to have some sort of mid-year assessment and reflection about this particular effort I have undertaken, and so I'll try to organize some thoughts in that direction. So, in no particular order, here are some personal mid-contract reflections:

  • I love being on the road. Everyone has asked me that question since I've been home, and I've always responded that way. I do like traveling, and I do like facing the challenge each venue brings. I like seeing new places, and I really don't mind too much living in motel rooms. Motel rooms are, in fact, quite efficient and comfortable. With wireless access and a little TV, they turn out to be not so bad places to be in. About the only thing I dislike is not being able to travel independently when the opportunity arrives. And the food - I do get tired of mass prepared food.
  • I like the people in the troupe. By now I know them pretty well, and for the life of me I can't really find anything to complain about. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, of course, and you learn to understand each person's particular quirks and eccentricities. But I have to honestly say that they're all pretty good people. That's made me feel somewhat better about the state of young actors in this country. There's a little hope there.
  • I do wonder about the viability of touring, however. I've taken in each type of venue and each type of audience, and I begin to wonder at times what sort of lasting effect we have on the people for whom we perform. This is quite a complicated issue, and I don't really at the moment want to go much deeper into this, but suffice to say that our audiences are overwhelmingly white, middle- to upper-class, educated, or the children of the same. And in non-college venues (of which we had few), they are old; 50 or above. I see few people in the age range of my colleagues attending our performances. The issue goes beyond simply touring of course; it strikes at the very heart of theatre as a viable American art form. The reason I've been thinking about this question this week stirs partly from my attending the performance in Buffalo as well as going out to see the Capital Steps perform in Erie PA, and partly from some frustration in choosing a play to direct once I return to Fredonia. Of course, I've been thinking for a long time about the notion that Shakespeare festivals are really nothing but the Disneyworlds of rich educated white people, and being on tour is doing nothing but confirming that in many ways. To probe the matter even further, one can put forth the notion that in the seemingly endless bog of this nation's culture wars, all Euro-centric cultural values - and with them the truths they might hold - are becoming nothing more than another commodity for sale to a niche market. Shakespeare is merely a niche within a niche. But you'll have to wait for the book for any further explanation of this notion.
  • It is easier to maintain freshness of performance when you have three shows in rep to perform than having to do one show over and over every day.
  • Sooner or later, even the thing you adore doing more than anything else becomes reduced to a job. Anyone who says different is probably lying just a little. Now, I have one of the greatest jobs in this country - college teaching - and I have been most fortunate to be able to combine something I like very much doing with a job. But no matter what, you will have those days when going to work is no more than getting the job done. Obviously, the trick is to find a way to continually make the job seem new. That's challenging under any circumstances.
  • The weather in the southern half of the nation is better than in the northern half. There is more sunlight. Western New York recently set a record of 13 consecutive days with 0% available sunlight. I have been here experiencing more than half of those days. It is noticeably more dreary up here.
Since I seem to be staring into space at more than regular intervals at this point, I will take that as a sign that I can't think of anything more to write. It's going to be a mess getting back to Staunton - my son Eric has an audition for the University of Cincinnati's Conservatory Training Program on January 14th at 5:30 PM, so I have to figure out this transportation thing so as to return to Staunton the next day by noon. Always complications. In the meantime, happy new year to one and all. Don't let the winter get you down. -TWL

2 comments:

Paul Fidalgo said...

I totally know what you mean, it has been eating at me a great deal that Shakespeare is wasted on the rich. Problem is, it requires rich people to subsidize any attempts to bring it to someone else, and they don't seem terribly interested in doing so. Maddening.

Anonymous said...

"...I begin to wonder at times what sort of lasting effect we have on the people for whom we perform..."

---ASC actors don't necessary get to see/hear/feel/experience the lasting effects...but since I've been doing this touring thing as an actor, director, producer, etc. for eighteen years, I'm aware of a ton of lasting effects (from the mundane to the profound).

---Some kids who have never seen live theatre before have their minds/bodies expanded beyond what their life experiences had previously provided (the program cost a buck, the experience: priceless)...some never see another live performance again, some seek them out because of us.
---Some high school teachers and college professors who have never had Shakespeare come alive the way it can with lights on-audience contact-being a part of the world of the play-language that no longer feels antiquated have been forever changed and pass that on to hundreds/thousands of students they teach.
---Some people of various ages are inspired to pursue acting in an effort to have a piece of that magic they felt coming off the stage (damn you for infecting people with that curse!!).
---Some folks fall in love with Shakespeare because we came to their affluent and white school.
---Some peeps who think Shakespeare is dead, boring, and lifeless will have new perspectives planted or revived.
---Some high school students will decide to spend their summer studying Sahkespeare at our theatre camp.
---Some take a class that they never would have before, and read/see plays they never would have experienced if we hadn't come to their town.
---Some folks enjoy that they got out of class for two hours!!
---We don't hit home and hit hard for every kid in a 700-seat house, but I'm not stretching to say that I bet we hit a few hundred in that house and probably seriously affect the lives of mulitple dozens-night after night after night.
---Because the American Shakespeare Center has toured so many shows over so many years, we've been a part of thousands of dreams that would have never been dreamt.

---I believe that experiencing great art (particularly Shakespeare) allows us to see ourselves, our families, our communities in a different way and actually (as a result) makes us better people; us being better people makes this world a better place to be; show by show, audience by audience, I truly feel like we are changing the world.
---THAT'S the lasting effect I think we're having in spite of all the ills of modern theatre/touring/whiteness/etc.

Not that I have an opinion on the subject!