Monday, September 12, 2005

Endless Summer - 9/12/05

I'm about 12 hours away from getting on the road and heading out for the Fall Leg of our tour. My rooms are cleared out, my "tiny travel suitcase" is packed, my lapbag is set to go (if you want to imagine how much is in my TTS, imagine having to live for three months over two seasons in your carry-on luggage piece). We pack the vans and take off tomorrow ETD 12:30 PM. I just got in from a farewell party thrown for us by the members of the Resident Troupe, a wonderful back porch BBQ over at the Actor's House. Drinks were had, laughs were shared, goodbyes were said. We will see the rez troupe again in November for a big Thanksgiving feast before they go on vacation.

We've been quite busy over the past week. As already mentioned, we played our three shows to invited audiences over the past week, and the reception from our audiences was very gratifying. Planet will be a big hit; the audience of college students really enjoyed the rock and roll as much as the Veritas winery baby-boomers. Much Ado produced much laughter as well as high drama. R3 has many powerful moments as well as Andrew's unique take on Richard. We did the pay-what-you-will for two shows and made $775 for the Red Cross. We also worked on the 90-minute version of Much Ado as well as polishing off all our workshops. So I think we're all set to go.

This whole experience has been something like an endless summer. While the evenings are becoming cool, the days are still in the mid-to-high 80s, but with far less humidity than the summer. I'm still getting up and going to the theatre every day, which continues to give me that summer theatre feeling. It's just such indescribable fun! I walk into the rehearsal room early, and as often as not someone is playing an instrument. It's really something when each person who walks into the room picks up another instrument and joins in, wordlessly. By the time we get to the call time, there are six or seven people just creating a relaxed jam session; guitar, bass, cello, percussion, trumpet, anything available. This beats working by a long shot! We even have a troupe fantasy football league going - I know nothing about fantasy football (but a lot about fantasy baseball), but it's fun just to join in and play. I love being one of the kids and just playing!

As we prepare to take off tomorrow, every sort of emotion is going through me. I am excited, nervous, eager, reluctant. Another adjustment to make just as I've become settled into the routine at the playhouse. New challenges to face just as I've survived the ones I faced in June when I first showed up. Now I get the opportunity to see if my ideal of what touring is about is anything like the reality (probably not, but WTF). The best part will be getting a bunch of new stories to tell. God knows my collection of stories was becoming stale. I know this is somewhat vague, but I think my thoughts about getting on tour will become more shaped as I get travelling. Right now it's all anticipation. As I get on the road I'm sure I will be more able to articulate what it's like to be out there. My biggest fear - not getting enough exercise and gaining weight from bad road food. Everyone who has tour experience says I will lose weight, but I am afraid too much sitting and not enough moving about will take its toll. But when you have to lug everything in and out of the theatre yourself, as well as do the shows, perhaps this isn't as realistic a fear as I think. Keep me moving!

Last sad note - in a previous post I noted that Ellen Opiela was under hospice care. She passed away last week. Her contribution to Buffalo theatre was great. She will be sorely and sadly missed. They don't make them much like her anymore. May her muse continue to shine on and inspire us all. -TWL

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Day 3 and I hope the road is treating you well! Believe me, you will not gain weight! When I was on the road as Pippi all we ate was fast food but doing the show made me lose weight. It was ending the tour but keeping the fast food that killed me... ;)

Sorry about your friend. I hope she's happy now, up there in theatre heaven.

Anonymous said...

Tom! Hey there! John McCune directed me to your blog. It sounds like you're doing something amazing right now. I'm so glad. Take care & say hello at www.livejournal.com/~saturna if you get a chance.

V.