Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Up and Running - 10/19/05

Group Photo St. Mike'sSouth on I-89, VT - The gig at St. Michael's is complete, and we're on our way to New London, NH, where we will be performing at the New Hampshire Shakespeare Festival. It seems to be a gig where a lot of Shakespeare companies and/or people get together and enjoy Will's works. We are doing Much Ado in several different locations in the immediate area, and then after that on to Canton NY and St. Lawrence University for a week-long residence.

Getting back on stage after the two+ week layoff was simultaneously easy and hard. The first night was Much Ado, and the timing for the call was very tight. The space itself was a recital hall, which was a bit cramped and had no way for us to use the discovery space as an upstage exit. So we had to re-map all the exits and entrances and do the dance calls and fight calls and music call. I had asked to run over a few scenes but by the time all the calls were done there was no time left before house opened, so I had to go on cold, having only looked at the script beforehand. Not a problem - all the lines and movements came back quite easily, and I fell right into the flow of the play. I think what was most interesting to observe were the reactions of the rest of the company, and how they once again had to re-adjust to my presence on the stage. So many of them backstage during the run just said how nice it was to have me back on the stage with them. The feeling, of course, was mutual; it was great to be back performing. The show went very well, the gulling scene got many big laughs (Tyler had some wild moments ouot in the audience), and the wedding scene and following scenes created a hush in the crowd that caused only few people to laugh at some of the following humorous scenes. It took them awhile to restore their sense of fun, which I think they got back while Benedick tried to write his sonnet.

St. Michael's CampusFor me, though, it was kind of like opening night all over again. I was worried about having to jump right back into my most taxing role right away, and especially without any sort of walk-through. After the run I felt tired and my voice felt a bit ragged and weak. I know I am going to have to re-build my stamina once again. After the three months in Staunton and the first two weeks on tour I was feeling pretty good, but I think the two week rest has reduced my stamina a bit. Tyler had offered to do my second watch scene for me to save me some energy, but it turned out that given the exits and entrances we had to re-work, he wouldn't be able to make the change, so I just did the scene. No somersault, though - I think that's out for good at this point. Last night we did Planet, and that went just as well. The space was good for the music, and there were just no total crashes at all. Very smooth, and again the audience had a great deal of fun. But it turned out to be a very dry space, and not just me, but several of the company noticed that when they went to open their mouths there was no moisture to be had. I drank a ton of water inbetween acts and still it was hard to sing and speak. It's funny, but that wasn't noticeable during mucis call, only during the show. But still, my voice is just a bit weak and tired, so I am keeping very quiet today, getting a day's rest, drinking mucho water, and getting set for tomorrow.

I really wanted to make this St. Michael's gig because the daughter of a very old and good friend, Red Shuttleworth (poet, playwright and cowboy, a genuine voice Jessi and Meof the American West) attends St. Michael's College, and I wanted to say hello and perform for her. I did get a chance to meet her, and she attended the shows and loved them. We had a great time catching up. She's a theatre major herself and plans to audition for all the top graduate programs in the country. She attended American Conservatory Theatre's summer training program last summer, and really wants to attend that school. We toured downtown Burlington and took a bunch of photos, and I got a first-rate tour of the college. Nice to be able to have someone you know at the venue.

The scenery down I-89 this morning is fabulous. That's another reason for wanting to get back on the road at this time - the fall colors. The weather has been positively awful - wet, soggy, raining, and I hear it's been like this for two weeks now. There are very few reds out in the foliage, and some of the trees are still sporting green, but nonetheless the colors are spectacular. I tried to take some movies and stills of the colors while on the road. You can view them on my video page if you'd like. The quality is as it is because of the moving van and shooting through a window. But it is one simply gorgeous drive, crossing the Winooski River and the White River and passing through the mountain ranges. Yellows and golds dominate this year, and the ponds and rivers a full, clear and fresh-flowing. Can't be beat. I do regret having missed Bar Harbor ME, because I love Acadia National Park, but this is, at the moment, making up for it. I keep putting my camera away, writing something here, seeing a beautiful sight, and grabbing my camera to get the next great photo. You can, of course, click on My Yahoo! Photos Page over on the sidebar to see some of these pictures. I have a lot to post, so check back over the next few days to see the many photos coming up, starting from Ohio and working their way to today.

Autumn TreeNew London, NH - Arrived in New London after a very short ride. This is clearly a small township with nothing but small craft shops and the like. The day is finally beautiful and perhaps I can get some better foliage pictures around town. The New London Inn is a quaint old-fashioned inn, and everybody in the troupe gets their own room during this gig. Wow. I have a four-poster bed, a DVD/VHS/TV player, some antique furniture, a balcony view. I got back just in time! :-) Had a delightful lunch in the sun outside a charming cafe. Oh yeah!

LunchtimeTonight there's a reception and dinner for us, but i think it's been scaled back somewhat. Just dinner in the the local college's cafeteria with our contact. No show tonight, but one for the following three nights in three different locations, which means loading in and loading out each night.

The one small bump in the road at the moment is the number of people who seem to be coming down with colds. Carie is very under the weather, Olivia has a bug, Kevin has some sort of issue with his neck, a bruise or node or something, and Alyssa says she feels she's coming down with something. Colds seem to be making the rounds. Time to take preventative measures. I'll have to look into some sort of health food place around here for some Wellness tablets to keep away the cold demons.

So much for this post. Spur hard for the Bard! -TWL

No comments: