Sunday, August 28, 2005

Whirlwind! 8/28/05

Talk about a whirlwind of a trip! I went back to Dunkirk for a few days to move Eric to UB and bring Brian the remainder of his stuff and settle him into his first apartment at Oswego. I also got a tooth filled and had to mow my lawn and get the back yard cleaned up and secured for winter by moving everything indoors and storing the popup camper. Plus the draining tub for the washing machine got plugged so we called in a plumber to clear it out. And finally, through a complex set of circumstances, I sold my small acreage and bought the larger parcel next door, cleaning out and moving as much crap as possible from one lot to the other and doing a shitload of paperwork. So I'm back in Staunton, ready to get in the groove again. Compared to the last few days, rehearsal is going to be a breeze!

The return trip brought to Staunton home the reality of this whole thing. When I returned Wed. and drove through Fredonia a few times, it struck me that classes had begun and things were getting into full swing. All this time in Staunton it kept feeling like a summer theatre gig, but the trip back to VA made me fully realize I haven't even begun. There are still about two weeks to go before we actually take off, but two weeks goes fast here. We should be finishing up R3 rehearsals this coming weekend, and then a week of performances for the local women's college (Mary Baldwin College) as well as working on workshops, getting all the logistics set up for the vans, etc.

We have a special performance of Planet coming up on Thursday, so a few extra rehearsals have been put in for that show. It's apparently a fundraiser event at a local winery, so with any luck many of the audience will be a little tipsy and will enjoy a strange Star Trek/Shakespeare/RockandRoll mix.

Final thought for today - stuff. I mean all the stuff you own: gear, goods, material possessions, junk, antiques, etc. etc. I've got two rooms here and live very well with a minimum of stuff. I always wanted to have as some sort of life goal the fact that everything I owned I could always pack in my car and go. But I looked around my house and was pretty overwhelmed with all the stuff in the basement, the attic, and the two living floors. There's just a lot of stuff. Perhaps a lot of it is just the result of raising a family, or the natural result of living in one place for 18 years. But it sure is intimidating. Books I haven't read, tools I haven't used, clothes I haven't worn since I was a size 32 (don't even ask!). Come summer '06 there's going to be some downsizing going on, for sure.

New vodcasts coming this week. I'm going to try to make one which will string together a few rehearsal moments for your viewing enjoyment. I'm also going to try to solve the PC problem so everyone can see these.

Later....TWL

No comments: